The Alexandria Seaman's Home, which was also known as the Merchant Navy Club, was maintained by voluntary contributions from ship owners, residents and the Scottish Mission. The earliest reference is that, in 1860, there was a Scottish church Mission established in an old hospital ship from the Crimean War. A local committee was formed and raised sufficient funds by 1898 to build a permanent home on a site in the docks near to No. 22 gate.
It was open at all times to seamen of the British Merchant Navy and to members of the Forces who were also made welcome. There was separate accommodation for officers and seamen and meals and other refreshments were available. Bedrooms could be booked and hot baths enjoyed. Billiards, darts and table tennis could be played. A lounge provided British newspapers and periodicals and letter-writing stationery was supplied free of charge. The Home was situated within the Customs area of the docks, near Gate No. 22 and Quay No. 33.
A branch post office of the Egyptian Government was attached to the Home, and all normal postal business could be conducted. . All letters from abroad addressed to men on visiting ships were received at the post office and subsequently delivered by the Home's special postman as soon as a ship was alongside the Quay or at anchor in the harbour. Letters posted at the Home had to be handed over the post office counter as there was no official box at the Home. No parcels or cables could be accepted as the post office was situated in the Customs Area. It was closed sometime in 1955.
Six different markings have been recorded for the branch office from February 29, 1906, to July 19, 1955. One notable feature of these markings is the question to which study do they belong to. Originally part of the Proprietary Post Offices section, now more commonly referred to as the Hotel Study and included in the last major update (QC 194, September 2000, The Hotels Study: Latest List of Markings and Dates), they have also been claimed by Smith1 as part of maritime mail and by Firebrace2 as Sailors' and Soldiers' post offices. Jim Benians3 does however state of his original "proprietary" study: they have also been claimed by Smith1 as part of maritime mail and by Firebrace2 as Sailors' and Soldiers' post offices.
Jim Benians3 does however state:
All the publications use the drawings from Jim's 1982 publication Smith gives no typing references, and the Hotel Study list has added the code HSM, to the type numbering and widened earliest and latest dates, while Firebrace illustrates only type II as his S.1.